You’ve just found XSEL! We are a small research group at University of Virginia. We strive to build computer systems software that is cool.
Who we are
Head Dreamer: Felix Xiaozhu Lin
Dreamers towards PhD:
- Hongyu Miao (PhD’21; thesis “Systems Support for Data Analytics by Exploiting Modern Hardware”, first job: NVIDIA)
- Heejin Park (PhD’21; thesis “Towards Trustworthy On-device Computation”, first job: TBA)
- Tiantu Xu (PhD’21; thesis “Software Systems for Large-scale Retrospective Video Analytics”, first job: Facebook)
- Xiangyu Li (BS’16; now graduate student at Gatech);
- Michael Glapa (MS’18; first job: FWDNXT);
- Ravi Gupta (MS’16; first job: Intel);
- Raiyan Latif (MS’16; first job: Intel);
- Lintong Jiang (MS’16; first job: VMWare);
- Shuang Zhai (cont. graduate study at U of Rochester)
- Renju Liu (cont. graduate study at UCLA)
Luis Fernando Materon Botelho (Summer 18); Yi Qiao (Summer 18); Victor Pan (Summer 18); Shaoying Xu (Summer 17)
We always have openings for undergrad RAs. Recognizing undergrads have diverse background & career goals, We customize research experience for individuals. Start from small tasks. No commitment upfront.
What we do
We address systems challenges in a wide range of scenarios, spanning from interactive wearables to large analytics engines. We take diverse approaches, including novel OS structures (1, 2), kernel subsystem design, whole-OS profiling, binary translation, and user-level runtime design.
A partial list of recent projects: Elf (a 3-min video) | Transkernel | VStore | Power Sandbox | StreamBox | Decelerating suspend/resume | memif | Android Wear | Drivers should not manage power | Hot” Google Glass | K2 | Reflex | Why Browser Slow? | Tempo | RhythmLink | Dandelion
Our work is made possible through the support of:
- National Science Foundation
We also thank the following organizations for donating devices, software licenses, or service accounts:
- Texas Instruments