You’ve just found XSEL! We are a small research group at Purdue University. We strive to build computer systems software that is relevant, cool, and publishable.
Lab: EE341 Tel: 765-49-68227
To PhD applicants: Why Purdue Computer Engineering?
Who we are
Head Dreamer: Felix Xiaozhu Lin
Dreamers towards PhD:
MS (w/ thesis):
Xiangyu Li (BS’16; now graduate student at Gatech); Michael Glapa (MS’18; first job: FWDNXT); Ravi Gupta (MS’16; first job: Intel); Raiyan Latif (MS’16; first job: Intel); Lintong Jiang (MS’16; first job: VMWare); Renju Liu (cont. graduate study at UCLA)
Luis Fernando Materon Botelho (Summer 18); Yi Qiao (Summer 18); Victor Pan (Summer 18); Shaoying Xu (Summer 17)
We always have openings for undergrad RAs. Recognizing undergrads have diverse background & career goals, We customize research experience for individuals. Start from small tasks. No commitment upfront.
What we do
We address systems challenges in a wide range of scenarios, spanning from interactive wearables to large analytics engines. We take diverse approaches, including novel OS structures (1, 2), kernel subsystem design, whole-OS profiling, binary translation, and user-level runtime design.
A list of recent projects: VStore | Power Sandbox | StreamBox | Decelerating suspend/resume | memif | Android Wear | Drivers should not manage power | Hot” Google Glass | K2 | Reflex | Why Browser Slow? | Tempo | RhythmLink | Dandelion
- 2019-04: NSF CAREER. The thesis is “secure by design” – a trustworthy data backplane for the cloud edge.
- 2019-04: StreamBox-TZ: the 3rd sequel of StreamBox, to appear at ATC’19. It describes running stream analytics at the edge secured by TrustZone.
- 2019-04: Transkernel, my favorite project among all the kernel hacks we’ve done so far. To appear at ATC’19.
- 2018-12: A data store designed for retrospective analytics over large videos. Check out our paper at Eurosys’19.
- 2018-11: Proper use of high banwidth memory can speed up stream analytics by 7x. Check out our paper at ASPLOS’19.
- 2018-02: Programs should learn their power consumption in the right way. Check out our paper at Eurosys’18.
- 2017-04: StreamBox, our scale-up streaming engine, will debut at USENIX ATC’17.
- 2017-03: Recently we have collaborative projects that shed light on mobile app/user behaviors. Check out papers (WWW’17, MobiSys’17, & TMC’17).
- 2016-12: Our upcoming paper at HotMobile’17 describes a dramatic approach for minimizing the energy of suspend/resume on mobile/IoT devices.
- 2016-02: Our upcoming paper at MobiSys’16 describes interesting findings in characterizing Android Wear OS.
- 2015-12: Need a better graphics stack for circular displays? Read our paper at HotMobile’16.
- 2015-11: How to program heterogeneous memory? Read our +memif+ paper at ASPLOS’16.
- 2015-06: Why is your smart watch slow? Check out our paper at ApSys’15.
- 2015-01: The group receives the first NSF grant (CISE: CRII).
Our work is made possible through the support of:
- National Science Foundation
We also thank the following organizations for donating devices, software licenses, or service accounts:
- Texas Instruments